We are eager to tell you about great places for you to go experience this beautiful part of Montana. We have explored a lot of western Montana ourselves, and can show you pictures and give you directions. We are located near the Salish Kootenai Indian Reservation.
The Bear Spirit Lodge is right in the middle of everything and central to Western Montana, Missoula, the National Bison Range, Flathead Lake, and Glacier National Park. For those of you who are interested in cultural experiences as well as nature, Bear Spirit Lodge is part of the multi-cultural community that has developed over the last few years in Mission Valley.
We are close to the famous 130-year-old St. Ignatius Mission Church, the Garden of 1,000 Buddhas at the Ewam Center of a Tibetan Rinpoche in Arlee, and the nearby Amish community. You can visit the Amish Mission Market Store and sample some great Amish country cheeses.
Bear Spirit Lodge primarily offers a place to relax, rejuvenate, and feed your spirit. However, if you want to combine your retreat in nature with touring activities, here are a few suggestions & the time it takes to get there:
- Glacier National Park (2.5 hours)
- National Bison Range & Visitor’s Center: wildlife viewing & information (20 minutes)
- Ninepipes Wildlife Refuge: part of the Central Flyway or migratory birds; waterfowl viewing & fishing (20 minutes)
- The People’s Center: cultural info. & Living Museum of the Salish &
- Kootenai tribes (30 minutes)
- St. Ignatius Mission Church - a registered national historic site: historic mission & extraordinary religious paintings (10 minutes)
- Flathead River & Kerr Dam: canoeing & whitewater rafting (40 minutes)
- Mission Mountain Tribal Wilderness & Mission Falls: hiking, backpacking, fishing, swimming, & canoeing (tribal recreational permit required for a fee)
- Horseback Riding & Golfing (20 minutes)
- Trading posts, stores, gift shops, art galleries, & museums (10-45 minutes)
- Bitteroot Valley (1.5 hours)
- Amish Mission Market Store (10 minutes)
- Blacktail Mountain Ski Resort (1 hour)
- Arlee Tibetan Garden of 1,000 Buddhas (30 minutes)